Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Film: Secrets and Lies (1996)

As I went down the movie list and read their descriptions, this movie jumped out to me the most. The first place I went to search for it was YouTube and, sure enough, there is was in fourteen parts :).

I really wasn't expecting to like this movie as much as I did, mostly because I had never heard of it. The very first thing I noticed and really liked was that it started off with three different stories (Hortense, Cynthia, and Maurice), and how the movie did not take long to make the connections between them. I was engaged in the movie the whole time as if it were a true story happening before my eyes, in the present time. The characters and their mannerisms and personalities were very real. The story was also very believable, something I believe to be very important for any movie in the Drama genre.

What also made the movie different from any other "adopted child seeking their biological parent(s)" movie was the racial tension of it all. The mystery of who Hortense's biological father is also kept me wondering throughout the entire movie, waiting for an answer. The man's identity was never directly revealed, but through Cynthia's reaction at the mention of him, the viewer can gather that something bad happened (possibly rape), considering she became pregnant at fifteen. I also like how the story leaves it up to the audience to determine what may have happened.

Two things surprised me in the film. The first is Cynthia's turn around from not wanting anything to do with Hortense to actually building a genuine relationship with her black daughter, and being proud of who she has become. Second, is that Roxanne accepts Hortense as her sister at the end. I definitely didn't see that one coming. Overall, I would watch this film again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment